Curved Televisions are in trend nowadays. All big companies like Sony, Samsung and LG are starting to introduce their Curved TV’s. But then the questions arise; why should we buy a Curved TV? And if we should, then which one?
In answer to the first question, Curved Televisions have a lot to offer. First of all, Curved Televisions are new. Anything new in the market is usually preferred by everyone. It is a status symbol, that also symbolizes that you are a modern family that is always up to date with what is new in the market.
Keeping it aside, Curved Televisions also improve immersion. The curved ends seem to make you feel as if the images shown are wrapping around you, thus making you feel more immersed in what you are watching.
Another reason is that it makes you feel as if it is 3D even though it is 2D! This is because curving the edges of the image towards the viewer enhances the visual perception of depth in what you’re watching. Samsung has also stated that Curved Televisions also adjust the contrast at different parts of the image to provide a slight boost in the sense of field depth.
And one of the biggest reasons for buying a curved television would be – wider field of vision!
But with all these new Curved TV’s lining up from all brands, it has become really tough to sort out which one of them would be the best. We took up the job on ourselves and sorted out the best Curved Televisions of 2014 for you to buy!
1: LG FHD CURVED OLED CINEMA 3D SMART TV 55EA9800
LG is a renowned brand in the field of Televisions, so it was obvious that LG would be releasing it’s own Curved Television anyday, which would beat all others out there in the market in all fields. As usual, LG did live up to our expectations by sending out the devil himself in front of all the tiny demons out there. Though I don’t think calling it a devil is fine, seeing how nice and elegant it looks! But of course, if we compare it to all the other curved televisions, it is a monster!
Why we like it..
- Unlike other televisions, LG’s OLED TV uses their own technology called the “4-color-pixel”. As we all know, all televisions and printers use three colors, namely Red, Blue and Green. But LG uses a 4th color – white, to enhance OLED pixels’ ability to express the colors of reality.
- The Crystal-stand! The unique crystal stand gives this television a firm boost in looks, thus giving it the elite feel. The Elegance of this crystal stand is unmatched by any other television.
- It’s a Smart TV! Smart Televisions were all in the fashion in 2013. Combining that technology with the Curved TV was definitely a good decision on LG’s part! You can control it using the Magic Remote that comes with this TV.
- The Time Machine II. As the name suggests, this feature allows you to Record a show, watch and record, schedule a record, play, pause, rewind, rewatch the shows using an External Hard Disk or the inbuilt memory card. This way, you will never miss a show!
- And many more features which will take infinite amount of time to be mentioned here! It just gets better and better!
The price is a bit high, but the quality sure pays off!
Price: Starting from $7,999 USD.
2: Sony S990 Curved LED HDTV KDL-65S990A
Just like LG, Sony is also a renowned brand in the field of televisions. It is mainly known for selling costly products. But still, comparing an LED HDTV to a 3D OLED Smart TV is not fair.
We would recommend this to those who just want to experience curved display televisions.
Why we like it..
- Just like LG’s OLED uses 4-color-pixel technology, this LED by Sony uses their own version of that technology, called the “Triluminos” display. It enhances the feel of the images by adjusting colors at the appropriate places.
- Unlike other brands who only aim at providing more and more features, Sony mainly aims on quality of features rather than the quantity. So again, Sony has utilized it’s own technology called “X-Reality Pro” which adjusts the contrast and brightness, hence increasing the clarity of images.
- The sound! Sony is well known for its crisp and clear sound with nice bass. So as usual, Sony does not disappoint as with this television. Moreover, the speakers are angled in multiple directions!
- Built-in WiFi! By connecting this television to WiFi network, you can utilize the other features of this television, like watching Netflix, Vimeo or Youtube! You can use Facebook too!
- Just like LG’s Curved OLED TV, Sony also comes with Miracast. Hence, you can connect your Smartphone to the television and enjoy!
The price is approximately $2,499 USD. This television has a lot of features that are similar to LG’s, but is an LED HDTV and not an OLED or a Smart TV. Though it does not matter if all you want is a budget Curved TV.
3: Samsung UHD 4K HU9000 Smart TV UN78HU9000FXZA
This can be taken as an upscaled version of the Sony LED HDTV. Samsung has now brought out its own Curved Televisions. Out of all the Curved Televisions by Samsung that we have browsed through, this was the best that we could select for our list!
Why we like it..
- Samsung was the first one in the television industry to introduce Curved Televisions and Smart Televisions. That certainly gives it a boost over others!
- UHD Upscaling. UHD Upscaling delivers the complete UHD picture experience with a proprietary process including signal analysis, noise reduction, UHD upscaling and detail enhancement to seamlessly upconvert SD, HD or full HD content to UHD-level picture quality.
- UHD Dimming. UHD Dimming precisely scans an incredible amount of zones across the entire image and adjusts brightness to deliver deeper darks and brighter whites. It virtually eliminates the “halo” effect and image distortion, so you’ll enjoy a crystal clear picture.
- As the previous televisions had their own display enhancing technology, Samsung has its own… and this time, it is something new! Usually televisions only concentrate on the three primary colors, namely Red, Green and Blue. Samsung chose to concentrate on the secondary colors as well, named Cyan, Magenta and Yellow! Thus, giving the viewers a more vivid experience.
Price : Starting from $3,299 USD.
Last but not the least, it all depends on what you want! If I myself name out the specialities of each and every brand, it will be better to choose what television you want to buy. LG is mainly renowned for elegant and elite looks, along with a nice picture quality. But the price of LG devices is pretty high.
Sony is known for its crystal clear sound and display. It is cheaper if compared to LG, but not always. Many of their devices may be far more costlier.
Samsung is an all-rounder brand! It provides a perfect balance of sound, display, design and price. The rest is on you!
Nice post anirudh.
Curved led tvs are quite innovative as they increase the field of view as well as make us feel like false 3d which is great. However, the only drawback to them is they are highly costly. One middle income person cannot experience any innovative thing because of the office structure.
The factor of the curved TV comes into play when you sit in front of them at its Centre. Consider the curve and extend it as a circle. Now sit in the Centre of the imaginary circle and you are good to go. This improves your viewing experience with it.
Thank you for the wonderful post.