Micromax.. The name sounds very common nowadays. A few years ago it was just a wannabe mobile company which entered the cellphone line with its cheap, utility cellphones. But strangely, this brand became quite popular in that field as well, because it boasted of an extremely long battery life and talktime. Soon this brand entered the smartphone arena, with its Android based smartphones. Much to our expectations, it became quite popular. This was probably because of its low-cost, budget and entry-level phones.
Now this brand has released yet another phone named Micromax A106 Unite 2. This phone competes on the same level as the Motorola Moto E.
As we have done it many times before, we must explain what is root and why you need it.
“Rooting” is just short for gaining root access. But then, what is root? The root is the beginning of everything. Just like the roots of a plant are the beginning of a tree, the root of a phone is the beginning of the OS. It means that everything inside a phone (kernel, boot image, the data you see, etc.) are all stored inside the root of the phone.
Now why would one want root access anyways? Well, the answer to that is… because you want to! See, humans are known to be dominating. They always want full control on anything they use or own. It is natural, if you ask me. There is nothing wrong in saying that “I bought this, so I should have full control over it”. But of course, there is a reason that root access has been blocked, and why rooting is required to gain root access. The reason is simple; root isn’t something to be tampered with. Or at least that’s how it was supposed to be. It was quite obvious that people would soon look into this matter and ask for more power – rather, the administrator rights over their device.
But there is another reason that people want root for. That is, to customize their phones to what they like! There are a couple of reasons why a phone might not be upto the liking of the user –
- The Internal Memory might be less.
- There might be useless apps in the phone.
..and a few other reasons.
We have no idea which of these reasons are applicable for the Micromax A106 Unite 2, but it’s your phone! So do whatever you want with it. But before that, we should mention that whatever happens to your phone is not our responsibility. Just like we said before, it is your phone. So you can do whatever you want with it – with the risk that you will be the one who would be responsible for it.
We have prepared a simple tutorial on rooting the Micromax A106 Unite 2 using some info by another dev known as “fonehacker” from SGTalk Forums.
- Unlocked boot image (boot.img) and ClockWorkMod Recovery (recovery.img) – link
- SuperSU (to be placed in the internal memory) – link
- SP Flash Tool – link
- USB Drivers for MTK – link
- Scatter File for MT6582 – link
- ADB Preinstalled (many tutorials available online).
Procedure to Root Micromax Unite 2:
- Unrar all the rar files that you have downloaded and keep them in one folder.
- Install the USB Drivers for MTK that we had downloaded earlier.
- Connect the phone.
- Now remove your device’s battery and keep it aside.
- Now open the “SP_Flash_Tool_exe_v3.1344.0.212” folder and run “flash_tool.exe”
- Click the “Scatter-loading” button.
- Select the “MT6582_Android_scatter_emmc.txt” scatter file.
- Press “Download”.
- Skip the warning.
- Now you have an unlocked bootloader and ClockWorkMod Recovery.
- Reboot to recovery using the ADB Command “adb reboot recovery”.
- Now in your phone, you will see a menu, where the touch-screen does not work. This is the recovery mode.
- Use the volume buttons to scroll through the menu and the home button or the power button to select an option.
- Select “Install a ZIP from SD Card”.
- Select “UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.94.zip”.
- Now go back to the first page and select “Reboot”.
Now you have a rooted Micromax Unite 2 device with all administrator rights! You can now do whatever a rooted phone can do, with infinite number of possibilities of customization!
Hope you liked our tutorial. In case you faced any problems, feel free to contact us by the comments. We will try our best to solve your problem! And thank you for reading! Stay tuned!